Re: [tor-talk] "Hidden Services" vs "Onion services"

On 15/11/14 08:42, Katya Titov wrote:

> I opened a lengthy discussion about this in January:
>
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-January/thread.html#31863
>
> No real outcome.
>
> The name is what it is, and I think it's stuck.

Katia, thanks very much for pointing to the discussion, which is simply
fascinating. I will read it more attentively.

Let me say that meanings are never fixed or 'stuck' and that the
struggle to shift them is always open. So between cosmic space,
night/day, hidden/open, there are plenty of shades and personalities
coming out.

I think the use of 'dark' is not neutral and it hides a moral geography
of the Net, which might appeal to some of the 'insiders' too. I also
think that the anti-terrorism, anti-immigrants, anti-whatever symbols
(all 'dark' of course) are serious attacks to Internet freedom too.

That's my 2 penny thought.