Re: [tor-talk] Mimix, an operating system inside the main OS

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 11:23 PM, George <george@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Franps:
>> https://www.networkworld.com/article/3236064/servers/minix-the-most-popular-os-in-the-world-thanks-to-intel.amp.html
>>
>>  You might not know it, but inside your Intel system, you have an
>> operating system running in addition to your main OS, MINIX. And it’s
>> raising eyebrows and concerns
>
> Without question, the revelations about Intel ME are shocking. Sort of
> like we've known has existed on smart phones for a long while.
>
> The article seems to note that it's only an issue for the "last few
> years" when I believe it's been found as far back as the Thinkpad x200
> (~year 2000), at least.

Not sure how "shocking" this is. The people behind libreboot has been
trying to inform about this for a long time:

https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
https://libreboot.org/faq.html#amd

But obviously they are tinfoil-wearing conspiracy theorists, right?

This is what has stopped me from spending any money on a new CPU from
Intel or AMD the past years. Sadly, I don't have a practical
alternative right now. Even though some shady "fixes" exists, I prefer
to vote with my wallet.