Re: TOR in Java?

Hi Oliver,

I'm not a TOR developer; however, as an exit node server operator and
system administrator I prefer C and am willing to accept C++.

C#, being a closed-source proprietary product, could be very unpopular,
not just on non-Intel architectures but on non-Microsoft operating
systems.  I would not run Tor if it were written in C#, period.

I view Java as Sun's property; it's an effort to get closed-source code
to work across hardware platforms.  It's extremely inefficient in terms
of computing resources.  There are some terrific turf wars as well, as a
result of fighting between Sun and Microsoft.  Licensing is such that a
lot of OSs don't come with Java by default.  In this sense, I do not
favor Java.  If Tor required Java to run, I probably would discontinue
any affiliation I have with Tor.

Java does have some merit for applets on WWW pages, but that's a
separate topic.

Personally, I don't believe in buffer overflows; my feeling is this
never happens to competent programmers.

No malice intended, and I know I'm very opinionated.  Thank you for
inviting comments!

Marc