Re: Hints and Tips for Whistleblowers - their comments on Tor and SSL - I don't understand.

Mike Perry writes:

> Thus spake Seth David Schoen (schoen@xxxxxxx):
>
> > > Hi,
> > > I don't understand, too and in my opinion, this is utter nonsense. I'm
> > > not aware of any negative impacts on privacy due to the usage of
> > > https://,
> >
> > Session resumption can be used to recognize an individual browser
> > that connects from different IP addresses, or even over Tor.  This
> > kind of recognition can be perfect because the resumption involves
> > a session key which is large, random, and could not legitimately
> > have been known to any other browser. :-(
>
> This is not true if the user is using Torbutton. See the paragraph
> about security.enable_ssl2 in:
> https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/en/design/#browseroverlay

Sorry, I only wanted to point out that the use of HTTPS in general
does create this tracking mechanism (and that Tor and other
TCP-level proxies won't remove it by themselves).  Your thoroughness
in dealing with details like this is a tremendous argument for
always using Torbutton.

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen@xxxxxxx