Re: [tor-talk] A new check

On 29.10.2013 13:39, krishna e bera wrote:
However Tor exists in a world where that isnt enough, and
indeed relies on countries and users with (often) opposing interests for
its marketing and anonymity model.

There is no other world. Weaseling around does not help. It never helped. Take the example of voluntary termination of pregnancy. It happened before the invention of christianity. It was there long before people invented a messia. Roughly two thousands years later women have decided things have to change. Sure, a middle class woman could have this procedure done to her. Or even administer it herself. And priests were more than happy to forgive everything in exchange to a promise of «not doing it again» and a nice sum donated. Today, thanks to those women who denounced themselves, the civilized world has the procedure done in a clean environment so the woman might live and repent if she pleases. Backward countries mark themselves by this weaseling. Sure. One can get her «fixed» and the issue at the same time. Yet most women die for the sake of some god, sometimes a god without even a statue.

I bet that in the case of a Wikipedia where most editors are aware of their situation in this imperfect world, the administrators would find way faster a solution to let people edit the pages through Tor. But people think Tor is for kiddie porn and any other sex practice they might find repulsive. So it's normal to come butt naked to edit the pages so TSA can be sure you're not hiding some Kalashnikov up your ass. By the way, that does not happen in real life today ONLY because of christianity. People are so afraid of their nakedness they would not go to the airport naked. And the bosses know that. So they'd rather spend on scanners than ask people to lube their rectum at home to make the boarding faster.

Tor should be open. Tor should be straight. It's its ONLY chance. The others are doing the weaseling.

Regarding the marketing high ground, are you claiming that steganography
modules and obfuscating proxies are not using deception?

Only in the cases most people think Tor is justified. Read the EFF news. There is an interesting article about this. As I am writing, it's the latest on their site.

On the other hand, perhaps allowing for the existence of hidden exit
nodes would tip the balance of tolerance that we currently have with
operators of destination internet sites and networks.

People should understand what speech means. And Tor is the best. I walk around at night. One night people threw things at me. Out of a car. A woman I know was mugged in broad daylight in a metropolis. Somebody was telling me about having tags sprayed all over his newly painted house. Another one has his car parked in the wrong place. He parks as an ass with no consideration for the people that might pass that way. Someone keyed a few times one side of his car. This is the daily life.

Fast forward after Microsoft has brought Internet to the masses. Some idiot living an entire life in some basement, with home delivery even for groceries, tries to tell me about the abrahamic heaven and hell. Somehow people have bought the idea of an Internet where a world of evil people is turning good through the will power of a few geandarmes. My foot! On all my sites I don't discriminate comments. Pointless spam I remove. But I leave all abuse. That is real life. Those are the people! There is no benevolent savage inside each person. Faster people renounce this kind of stupidity, faster we are going to see people having less incertives to become sociopaths.