Re: [tor-talk] Forward to Onion

Hi Jason,

Jason S. Evans:
> Hi all,
>
> I had this idea this morning. Would there be a way to automatically
> forward a visitor using Tor to a .onion domain that a website might
> host when they attempt to go to an external .com/etc site?
>
> For example, you type in https://duckduckgo.com and either the website
> or the browser forwards you to https://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion so you
> have slightly better speed and are not at the mercy of a potentially
> nosy exit node.
>
> My thoughts are that a browser plugin could do this if the Tor Project
> or the EFF were to sponsor it. It could also be done with javascript
> but that would mean going to the website first thus using the exit node
> at least once and also the hassle of using javascript (insecurities and
> all).
>
> My questions: Is this a good idea? Would you implement that on your own
> website? How could the safely be done?
>
> Best Regards,
> Jason

This is being done already on certain websites. For instance, the
charity Privacy International do this
[https://www.privacyinternational.org/], forwarding Tor users to
https://privacyintyqcroe.onion/.

You can implement this yourself, e.g. with an HTTP 301 (Moved
Permanently) redirect on your web server, if you detect a matching exit
node.

Best,
Duncan