Re: [tor-talk] Big spike in NL-initiated Tor conns between 30 Jul & 7 Oct; now spiking in DE

Hi Matthijs,
hi all,

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 05:12:07PM -0000, Matthijs R. Koot wrote:
> Unrelated or not, a nearly equally big spike is currently observed in
> DE-initiated connections --- from 200k to 500k so far:
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2017-05-01&end=2017-10-24&country=de
>
> Can anyone shed light on this? Obviously lots of hypotheses can be dreamt
> up, ranging from (poorly implemented) hidden service indexing/scanning to
> Sybil attacks or a legitimate change in the entry guard selection; but
> speculation is rarely a friend.

Dont't forget legislation. In Germany, mandatory telecommunications
data retention on ISP level came into effect (for a second time) on
1 July 2017: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_retention#Germany
As a counter-measure, NGOs such as my own have recommended using Tor.

Of course, this is just one possible explanation.

Cheers,
Christian

--
Christian Pietsch | volunteering for Digitalcourage e.V.
https://digitalcourage.de | https://bigbrotherawards.de