Re: Greetings/Question - Was: RE: Have some consideration for users...

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:41:46 -0400
phobos@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> You'll get timed out and clients will route around you.  When you're
> back online and the dirserver recognizes it, you'll get clients routed
> to you.

Assumed as much.

> If you're flapping that much, it's better to just not be online at
> all. The "line card" excuse means your provider oversubscribed the
> upstream link; or they actually have a failed line card, but those
> are usually replaced quickly.

It took three days. My connection would die between about 4PM and 6PM
every afternoon, and be unusable for about 8 to 12 hours.

Thing is, I could still ping machines outside RoadRunner's sphere of
influence without too many problems, but pings to certain IP blocks
owned by RR fell into a black hole. And ARP requests seemed to come
down the pipe unimpeded. I could also see reliable pings coming from
"tech support" every time I called. I'd assume that if it were "line
noise in my neighborhood caused by a bad card at the hub" as it was
explained to me, all traffic would take a hit...?

I'm guessing DNS problems, or a flaky router/whatever somewhere at the
perimeter of their DNS machines, but that's just a wild a** guess on my
part.

Thoughts?

Regardless, everything has been rock solid for the last 4 days so it
appears the problem's solved. I'll wait another week or so though, just
to be sure.

--
Hand Crafted on Fri. Sep 02, 2005 at 22:21

Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.