Re: Greetings/Question - Was: RE: Have some consideration for users...

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 22:00:53 -0400
Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > What IS the impact on the tor network if a node suddenly drops off
> > the face of the planet, or appears and disappears every half hour
> > or so for an 8 hour span? I'd assume since tor is "real time" the
> > node is simply routed around, correct? How fast are these things
> > compensated for?
>
> Tor servers publish an "uptime" in their server descriptor, which is
> the time they've been available/working at their current IP.

[snip]

Excellent information, thanks. I was clueless about how LongLivedPorts
worked.

See my reply to phobos if you're interested in more details of my (off
topic) problem.

> If servers die suddenly, Tor circuits that use them are broken. If
> somebody is using one of those circuits (e.g. for his irc connection),
> then it gets cut.

 [...]

> The answer to your question is "If your node is always like this, then
> it's probably not worth while to run a Tor node. But if it's fine for
> most days and it has this behavior one afternoon a week, then it's
> useful to have it."

I don't plan on running anything unless it's solid. I'll wait a bit,
and if the problem persists even as an occasional thing I'll scrap the
idea until I can find a reliable provider.

Thanks again.

--
Hand Crafted on Fri. Sep 02, 2005 at 22:35

Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.