Re: Warning TorButton 1.1.7-alfa

Thus spake Scott Bennett (bennett@xxxxxxxxxx):

>      On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 06:47:17 -0400 force44@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I upgraded to 1.1.7-alfa yesterday and saw that it is really a crap :(
> >
> >I used to manage my cookies, javacsript and history, MYSELF. Now trobutton wants to do all by itself, and the result is that:
> >
> >1- My history isn't cleared when I close Firefox, even when this option is selected in the Firefox options.
> >
> >2- Some websites that use javascript do not work with Tor. It is possible that I TRUST the CONTENT of a website, including scripts, BUT I want to use TOR to hide my IP. With torbutton this is a real hassle now.
>
>      That kind of thing is only one of the reasons I do not use TorButton and
> most likely never will.

Can you give me a list of websites torbutton breaks for you? And how
does it break them? Toggling torbutton will kill javascript in
websites that are currently open, but you want that, unless you like
random javascript timers going off and sending your real IP to
website.

> >Will try to go back to an older version if it is still available online :((((( Torbutton is a GREAT extension but WHY hell does the author want to care of all together??? Maybe he should also include Firefox in the extension, and why not, Windows or a unix distribution??? really BAD now :((((
>
>      (You have a bad case of linewrap there, friend. :-)
>      You could also try FoxyProxy, which I have used in the past, or
> SwitchProxy, which I prefer use now.  (I used FoxyProxy for a while at a time
> when SwitchProxy stopped working.  But then FoxyProxy came out with a version
> that didn't work, and I was afraid I might have to go with TorButton.  But
> SwitchProxy returned to the rescue with a newer, working version.:-)  These
> two are both more versatile than TorButton in the sense that they allow you
> to configure as many different proxies as you like and to switch between them
> at will.  Each proxy can, of course, be configured with addresses that bypass
> proxies entirely, too.

SwitchProxy should be usable with Torbutton. If you configure your Tor
proxy settings as one of the proxies, Torbutton should detect when it
is enabled and turn on its security features for you without your
needing to actually hit the torbutton itself. If it does not, it is a
bug. Please report it.

Again, Torbutton protects against numerous web exploits that can
reveal your IP address when you use vanilla proxy changers. Please
read over http://torbutton.torproject.org/dev/ before you go
recommending insecure solutions to people, or simply hate on Torbutton
without providing any bug reports to the maintainer as to why.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist