Advanced traffic shaping with iptables?

Hi there!
My problem is, that I'm sharing the Bandwidth of my ADSL Internet connection (50KiB/s upload) with TOR and some other applications (i.e. online games, VPN-Server, small Teamspeak-Server, VoIP) as well. I've read, that with iptables I could priorise the packages. At the moment I'm just offering 25KiB/s, cause I need at least 25KiB/s for the other applications. But for the most time, I'm using none of the other ones, so I could theoretically offer 50KiB/s for TOR at these moments. It would be really, really helpfull, if I could set up a bandwidth rule for TOR with iptables, so I would get at least 10KiB/s but it could get all the bandwidth, that would be wasted (remember the Task-Manager for CPU-Usage-Priority, I need something like "low priority" for the bandwidth). Maybe someone has already built something like this as a shell script for example? Or maybe some links to good explained tutorials would be usefull as well. Any help to get this done is appreciated.
Greetings, Linus
PS: Or would this sort of dynamic bandwidth-offer harm the TOR-network in any way, could this make things sort of "unstable", especially for established and active routes?