Re: When is the 'MyFamily' setting unnecessary?

On 09/13/2010 12:53 AM, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 02:38:18PM +0200, tor_ml@xxxxxxxxx wrote 1.1K bytes in 31 lines about:
If it is technically not necessary, because tor would never use certain
nodes in one circuit. I would understand people running>20 nodes that
do not use 'MyFamily'.

It's easy, put all 20 nodes in the MyFamily line and just use that line
for all 20 nodes.

This is not about me. I sometimes ask tor node admins that run many nodes to set MyFamily. Then I get a reply "it is not necessary". If I knew that it is not necessary I wouldn't contact them in the first place.

example:
1f94aaf1774d6d9e4c4b7bd242c3dc592c49db00 Pandora19
1fd8ad0a32bd4aaacf9180fd3870c87b6b463ca0 bizarre

I believe Jake, when he says that these nodes would never be used in the same circuit, but I would like to know why - just to avoid asking the next tor node admin in a similar case.

If there are certain rules I would stop asking people to set MyFamily if
one of these rules apply in the concrete scenario.

So there are no rules beside the "/16 network" - rule?

Perhaps it depends on what you mean by "rule".  The /16 network
diversity is in the tor source code.

Yes I mean the behaviour of the official tor software.

There are other proposals in the
mix for circuits to contain a unique AS and/or a unique continent per
node.