Re: [tor-talk] Mac?

--

  andre76@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Friday, September 09, 2011 11:08 AM, "Julian Yon" <julian@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 09/09/11 03:02, Andre Risling wrote:
> > - Why would someone want to change ("spoof") their MAC address?
>
> If you're an activist who travels the country and uses free WiFi to
> access the internet, you might not want to make it any easier for law
> enforcement to track your movements.
>

> Julian

I've forgotten already if someone answered this....but with the
free WiFi connections do they typically get your MAC address?

I've noticed in Ubuntu that when the computer is booted up and before I
connect to the web the computer needs the "keyring" password.  No matter
whether I try to change my  mac address that stupid keyring thing won't
let me do anything until it gets the "answer it wants".  So the password
is entered and the computer connects the web (actually just to the
router to get the wireless signal) and then I change the MAC address.
If I were trying to hide my mac address, no matter where I am, I have to
assume my real mac address would go out over the web or to the router
before I could change my address.

Is that correct?

> Email had 1 attachment:
> + signature.asc