Re: [tor-talk] Fwd: [guardian-dev] first beta release Orfox!

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015, at 05:26 PM, spencerone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> What are the benefits to the permissions 'run at startup', 'download
> files without notification', 'install shortcuts', and 'uninstall
> shortcuts'?

We are still working our way through all the permissions that Firefox
has/expects to have and seeing what we can remove easily. If you compare
to Firefox for Android, you can see we already have quite a few less.

The above permissions are mostly related to the Firefox Marketplace
"Apps" they offer which provide a way to run HTML5 apps directly from
the Android launcher. We don't plan to support these in Orfox, so we
likely remove these permissions.

> What do 'connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi', 'view Wi-Fi connections',
> and 'view network connections' do that 'full network access' doesn't?

These again are related to some new enhanced wifi behavior that Firefox
has been working on, that doesn't make sense for Orfox. These will
likely go away before we reach RC.

> And is the 'read your Web bookmarks and history' a requirement for the
> 'New Private Tab' function, or does it provide other benefits?

Still sorting that out, but I think that permissions is for importing
old browser bookmarks into Firefox. I thought that one had been removed,
actually, again because we don't support/promote this feature in Orfox.

> I know I can learn about these permissions in general through the
> appropriate documentation but I am asking in context to specific
> experiences OrFox is facilitating.

No problem. Mostly we are trying to modify Firefox for Android in a way
we can easily maintain it, while still ensuring we disable all the
permissions/features that don't make sense.

+n