Re: Here it is!

On 01-Apr-99 The Greene Family wrote:
> No, not kernel modules.   What I meant by drivers was a generic term,
> meaning accessing the ports and stuff to set up the DMA transfers on the
> card et cetera like back in the dos days (believe me, it's not to hard...)
> That idea is backburner now, I'm concentrating on OSS and ALSA interfacing.

That certainly would be a lot harder on a real OS like Linux. ;-)
No userland process can do any DMA programming or IRQ handling, as far as I
know. So basically you are required to do kernel programming if you ever want
to write sound drivers! Forget that whole idea of writing hardware drivers for
PenguinSound, that's totally out of our focus.

        Stephane Peter - ESSI 3 SAR
       French Computer Science Student
    e-mail: Stephane.Peter@linux-france.com
   IRC: MEGASTeP   http://www.essi.fr/~speter/
linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux