Porting Epic's Unreal to Linux?

Epic has expressed some interest in porting their new killer game
"Unreal" to Linux.  The 3d accelerated version is 3dfx Glide based,
which we already support.  Here is an excerpt from
http://www.voicenet.com/~shaitan (There is a petition to sign there,
too, if you care to.)

============================================================================================================
Mon May 25 | 10:17: Well, we've hit 1469 names thus far! I'm working on
a counter/page parsing program. I hope to have it up today so you can
see all the
wonderful names.

I also got a quick note from one of the developers at Epic regarding
linux ports. He makes a good point:

Being one of Epic's developers, I can tell you it's not unwillingness of
putting out Linux (or any other platforms) ports that matters to
developers.
I'm one of the Jazz2 coders and we also wanted to put out a Linux port,
but
we simply don't know how to.. And I think neither does Tim.

What would really help the community is a simple
"how-to-port-your-game-to-Linux" FAQ which organises all of that UNIX
and
API mumbo-jumbo for people who just want to get their hands dirty and
port a
game...

Just a thought.. (good initiative you took tho :)

Michiel Ouwehand

I'm looking to see what I can find, but it looks like he's right. We
would benefit from a FAQ like that. So, while I put a page about porting
games to linux
(which should benefit everybody) please mail me any tips, or url's that
a person could use to get started porting to linux. Or, if you'd be
willing to help let
me (or Epic) know. Epic DID NOT ask for help. Just wanted to be clear.

Seems like this is right down PenguinPlay's alley.

Steve Bergman
steve@netplus.net