Re: [pygame] Network game programming with python

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Christopher Armstrong wrote:

>On 2003.04.14 04:15, Jan Ekholm wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> >Well if you're distributing an application in a self-containedish
>> >format, or as a debian package, or whatever.. it's not going to make so
>> >much of a difference whether you use Twisted or not.
>>
>> We distribute as deb and "other formats", but adding Twisted into the
>> package will just open up a can of worms. It should be provided with
>> Python or be a separate simple download.
>
>I don't understand why packaging Twisted with your app is a problem;
>I've packaged self-contained apps that require Twisted before and it
>was very simple.

Oh, *I* don't know how to do it, but I'm no Twisted developer either.
Packaging and including extra stuff that you're not maintaining yourself
is always a pain, especially if the user may already have that stuff
installed somewhere else, preferably in some conflicting version. I've
done it for other projects and frankly, my precious time is better spent
on other things. A tertiary dependency library should not cause me any
problems, or I don't use it.

Note that I don't have any magical "gather all cruft and libs this little
app of mine needs and package into an executable" tool that I can use.
Such a tool would be nice though, and there probably is one for Windows
that actually works?

I don't mean to whine about Twisted, although I had an "interesting"
conversation a few years ago with some Twisted developer that tried using
more or less obnoxius and irritating "tactics" to get us to convert to
using Twisted for our networking. Needless to say I declined the honor,
and probably since that have a "slightly negative" image about Twisted. :)

--

  That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am.
                                             -- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods