Re: [pygame] Clone/game request: Chain of Command

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Richard Jones wrote:

>On Friday 16 Apr 2004 19:49, Jan Ekholm wrote:
>> 3D *can* really bring new life to a wargame if it properly can use the
>> third dimension. All too often it just seems to add nicer looking graphics
>> (see all modern RTS games, none seem to utilize height in any useful way).
>>
>> Personally I think it would be fun to work on a 3D wargame, and maybe I
>> will do it one of these days. :)
>
>I completely agree. And sympathise :)

I think that having a good wargame engine and a fairly separated
client for visualization makes it easier to migrate to a third dimension
when that time comes.

It is a bit of a shame that OpenGL seems a bit hard to use with Pygame and
Python in general. I tried PyOpenGL a few years ago and it worked but was
a pain to get up and running and it wasn't possible to use normal Pygame
2D graphics. Once you enter the world of OpenGL you are forced to
everything the OpenGL way, including stuff like fonts, status displays
etc. And that is a PITA, my friends.

For a 3D game I'd personally check out some engine that is tailored to 3D
and which makes stuff like text simple to use, and then use Pygame for
in-game scripting. Something like NeoEngine, Plib, OpenScenegraph or
something similar could be more ideal for a 3D game than PyOpenGL and/or
Pygame.

--
    - "Remember -- that which does not kill us can only make us stronger."
    - "And that which does kill us leaves us dead!"