Re: [pygame] Clone/game request: Chain of Command

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Stuart wrote:

>> For a 3D game I'd personally check out some engine that is tailored to 3D
>> and which makes stuff like text simple to use, and then use Pygame for
>> in-game scripting. Something like NeoEngine, Plib, OpenScenegraph or
>> something similar could be more ideal for a 3D game than PyOpenGL and/or
>> Pygame.
>
>You loose a lot of fine control with these things, and often don't gain very
>much.

Well, I don't mind losing having to write own texture loaders, culling,
lighting handling, mesh handling etc. All can be done manually, but it's
boring stuff and it has been done better before. :)

>Opengl is really a nice, clean, and simple 3d api once you get over the first
>few hurdles. It would be nice to have a little tighter integration with
>pygame, but it's really quite easy to work around.

Oh, I know OpenGL, I've used it a lot over the years, but that doesn't
mean I have to like working with it. It's a bit like coding a game in X11
when there is SDL and Pygame...

--
        Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
                                              -- Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man