Re: [pygame] simple strategygame

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Stefan Elwesthal wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>I'm a rookie Pygame-wannabee who loves strategy-games. Of course, I then
>want to write my own ones (just so I will know how to win them :) My
>problem is, I'm quite new on this, and all the tutorials and examples
>I've found and read are about side-scrollergames. Does anyone know where
>to look to get some hints on how to create "my kind of games"? It would
>be great to see different solutions to different problems that definietly
>will occur. I only found "civil", and that's quite a lot of code to
>read.. maybe not the best way to start for an amateur like me :(

Civil maybe isn't the best place to start for someone that wants to get
into strategy games, but it does contain a fair deal of nice stuff. :) I
think it got a bit too big and thus progress has been fairly slow.

Anyway, my advice is to start simple! Don't dream of coding up some
"better Warcraft" or "the next Civilization, just much better" as a first
game. Start simple. Maybe go for a simple hex/grid based 2D
seen-from-above-and-with-crappy-gfx where you can do very little and thus
have less to code.

If you start with a too ambitious project there's a 99% chance it will
never get done. Start simple and extend/rewrite later.

--
Voodoo is a very interesting religion for the whole family, even those
    members of it who are dead.