Re: [pygame] Philosophy of Educational Games

Dan,

I've been interested in educational games for a while too, and most of
my favorite games have been educational in some way, even if they
weren't intended as such (those are usually the best ones).  Here's a
few scattered thoughts, if it helps at all.

I like both your ideas for educational games.  The chemistry one
reminds me of an old game I played when I was a kid called "Chem Lab",
which I haven't been able to find any trace of on abandonware sites.
You basically had a chemistry lab with any chemicals and equipment you
need at your disposal; the game had missions in the form of labs where
you'd have to, for instance, create nitroglycerin for some reason or
another.  I believe there may have been labs in which you had to
identify a "mystery substance", too.  It'd be great to see something
along those lines.

Like that game, all of my favorite educational games have centered
around exploration and experimentation in which, as you mentioned, the
gameplay and education work with each other instead of against one
another.

Some other games you might want to look to for inspiration or ideas:

  Alter Ego
  http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=44

  This is one of the most original and fun games I've ever played.  It
sort of defies categorization, but one way to describe it might be "an
educational version of The Sims or Fable."  It was made in the early
1980's, and sometimes I think it'd be neat to see a remake, but I'm
not sure if advanced multimedia technologies and faster processors
could make this game much better.

  Hidden Agenda
  http://www.toolness.com/tool/tool.php3?section=interactive#ha

  The best game about politics that I've ever played, and one of my
favorite games period.  The link above goes to a review I wrote on my
homepage, so I won't describe it here.  I believe a Star Trek game was
made on a similar model as this one; it'd be interesting to see more
games use this kind of gameplay style, and it's unfortunate that the
game mechanics were never imitated/built upon to a greater degree.

  Mind Rover
  http://www.mindrover.com/
  Robot Odyssey
  http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=916

  Games that teach programming or logic are lots of fun, and Mind
Rover and Robot Odyssey are some of the best.  A game that teaches you
programming by making you program a "virtual robot" in Python could be
very cool, and a lot of fun from an implementation standpoint too.

Finally, I'd suggest checking out The Education Hall of Belated Fame
at The Home of the Underdogs, if you haven't already seen it:

  http://www.the-underdogs.org/featured.php?id=Education

Hope this helps!

- Atul