[pygame] Semi-Neophyte requires jerky animation assistance

I've been working on a pygame based game for a project, and I've encountered a weird phenomen in terms of animation. Every second or so, there's a "jerk" where everything stops animating for about a quarter of a second and then resumes. This isn't a full fledged freeze but more a drop in fps to 0 for the quarter second.

I initially thought it was related to garbage collection, but my efforts in that area did not change the oddity.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem before?

-Kevin Turner