Re: [pygame] two soundcards

Hello, Luke!

> couldn't you somehow use a surround-sound system with pygame?
> or does it not accomplish what you're trying to do?

I think Surround-Sound 5.1 would definitively accomplish what we would like to do. The 5.1 setup is somewhat like this:

#-#-#
|   |
| O |
#---#

There are FrontL - Center - FrontR speakers, then SurroundL and SurroundR and a Low Frequency Speaker. All channels are independent. If we just ignore the Center Speaker and the Subwoofer we are fine...

Is there support for Surround 5.1 in pygame? Rene Dudfield said that there is surround support in the (new) SDL with alsa, but is it in pygame already?

Dimitry Borisow pointed out that pymedia supports more than 1 sound card just fine and its documentation shows that there is support for 6 channels, too:

http://www.pymedia.org/docs/pymedia.audio.sound.html#Resampler
8<------------------------------------------------
The following considerations are made for the mutltichannel audio streams:
2 channels -> (left,right)
3 channels -> (left,right,sub)
4 channels -> (left_front,center,right_front,sub)
5 channels -> (left_front,center,right_front,left_back,right_back)
6 channels -> (left_front,center,right_front,left_back,right_back,sub)
------------------------------------------------>8

Unfortunately pymedia is only available for linux based systems, I would prefer a portable solution (like pygame) that works on Mac, Windows and Linux - if there is a portable solution to such a 'hardware related' problem at all...

So my final question is:
Does pygame support Surround Sound 5.1 already?

Regards,
And thanks everyone for helping me so quickly!!!
Gogo.

Luke Paireepinart wrote:
Rene Dudfield wrote:
Short answer No.  Long answer Maybe.  You could do it with two
processes in linux... somehow.