[pygame] varying sound playback rate

Hi,

I'm new here. I've looked thru the archives, the pygame documentation, the site and tutorials, and I've tried experimenting myself, but I can't find a way to dynamically alter the rate of sound playback in pygame.

For example, if I wanted to play a sound file back thru 4 different channels at 4 different rates to form a chord... is it possible?

Another example: playing the sound of a train "chuffing" first at a low speed then at progressively higher rates to sound like it is pulling away from a station... is that possible in pygame?

I know that it is possible to use numeric to read a sound into an array then manipulate it to create different sounds, but this seems a bit like using a steamroller to crack a walnut. I've used other applications where simply setting a different play rate is sufficient. This is effectively what all "tracker" music programs do. Can pygame do this?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Best wishes,

	- Miriam