Re: [pygame] Distributing pygame games for non-Windows platforms

On 4/28/07, Kris Schnee <kschnee@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pygame itself uses the LGPL. According to
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGPL>, building a standalone executable
that _uses_ Pygame without including a modified version of Pygame still
requires that it "be possible for the software to be linked with a newer
version of [Pygame]." It's possible that all that means is, people must
be able to replace the "library" ZIP file that Py2EXE creates -- an act
that doesn't require releasing the source.

Well here's an exceprt from the actual LGPL that talks about meeting
this condition with dynamic linking (there are 4 ways besides dynamic
linking as well, BTW):

----
b) Use a suitable shared library mechanism for linking with the
Library. A suitable mechanism is one that (1) uses at run time a copy
of the library already present on the user's computer system, rather
than copying library functions into the executable, and (2) will
operate properly with a modified version of the library, if the user
installs one, as long as the modified version is interface-compatible
with the version that the work was made with.
----

it seems to my that py2exe's library.zip thing would meet the terms of
that language (the executable links to an already present copy of
pygame in the zip). Without knowing exactly how pyinstaller's single
file works, I would guess that it would not meet the terms (I assume
it has copied library functions into the executable)