[pygame] pygame.image.save()

Hi,
  On my project, http://www.pygame.org/project/698/?release_id=1226, there is a render option, which allows you to render an image of an arbitrary size using the coordinates on the viewport.  The image is then saved.  Unfortunately, for some people this works, and for others, it returns an invalid .png file.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the surface type (e.g. 16 bit, 32 bit, etc.).  I'm not sure though.  Ideas?
Thanks,
Ian