Re: [pygame] Python 3.0 and Pygame Reloaded questions

Daniel McNeese <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Thanks for the answers, Marcus.  Some follow-up questions:

Yes. Currently it's fixed to 32 joysticks to keep the
memory manangement
simple. It can be changed at any time to support (nearly)
any amount of joysticks, if necessary, and will then just be
limited by the SDL.

32 is way more than I could practically use. I assume that the SDL also allows at least that many? The way you worded your answer implies "yes," but just I want to be absolutely clear on this: nothing will stop me from actually USING at least 8 joysticks?

As long as SDL can handle that many for your platform, you will be
able to use them.

There's a file handling problem still to be resolved with
file objects
(not file names) for Python 3.x (e.g. image loading from an
open file),
but I hope to have it fixed soon in some way.

Does this mean I can't load images and the like into my game until this gets fixed? Because that would be a major problem.

No, it just limits you to using file paths and no file-like objects
until the issue is solved.

So using something like

  pygame2.sdlimage.load ("path/to/file")

is safe and should work always for all Python versions.

  myfile = io.open ("path/to/file")
  pygame2.sdlimage.load (myfile)

will fail at the moment, but a solution is being worked on.

Regards
Marcus