Re: [pygame] PyGame Website Rewrite

René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx>:

hi,

very awesome of you to go ahead with this...

I read through your website... and it's got some good ideas...

It'll be cool if we can make pygame one of the best sites around in the
python scene again... the current one is from around 2005... and has been
really good so far.

Well, the colours started to hit some nerves for me, so it might be better
to go with some pastel colour palette for the new one :-).

Rewriting the current functionality in python first could be a good way to
go.  Once the current site is replicated, then move on to other stuff.

All the old stuff needs to be written at some point... because we need to
keep all the old urls around (including feeds).  Also it's easier for people

Is there a way to have some easy to manage URL rewriting/forwarding in
Django? That way we could let existing URLS resolve to the new stuff (e.g.
place the currently static html sites into the DB and link to them).

to work towards something that exists, rather than working towards a new
design.

A new design is necessary in my opinion. Colours, overall style, etc.
The functionality though needs to stay the same (with improvements all over
the place).

Remember, the main focus of the website should be peoples projects...
especially updated projects.  With all the other stuff coming after that.

Seconded.

First steps are to agree on a way forward... but if we go with remaking the
existing site... we could follow this path:

- prepare html/php/sql from old site.
- get old site running outside of the main pygame.org so people can test it
easily.

The current one is already around and was widely tested. Or do I miss
something here?

- decide on which tools we are to use.  The main ones from people interested
seem to be a django, or a cherrypy based site.
- start writing the models for the various tables, and data types in
existing site (eg, project, user, wiki page, etc).
- collect a list of existing urls.
- collect a list of existing functionality.
- collect a list of html/php pages to convert to templates.
- start working on list of functionality, and templates until it is
complete.

Sounds good to me. Though I'd go with the existing functionality first. The
existing URLs and such are things to be considered for a final migration.
Thus I would move this to the end:

- put site up for people to test on a test domain.... eg test.pygame.org
- work out migration plan:
  - migrate projects and static content
  - add functionality for eixsting URL handling
- replace existing website on pygame.org, and make sure it works ok.
- END.  then can work on adding new stuff.

Otherwise it might easily happen to limit the new system in some areas due to
the existing structure.

Working out the migration can happen in parallel to the test phase. Letting
people test is nothing, which should keep you on a 24/7 work load, so while
anyone plays around with it, you can work on the necessary conversion system.

Also, is it possible to do this at google code instead?
    http://code.google.com/p/pygame/

Sounds reasonable - google already has the whole functionality for the project,
Julian currently hosts privately. It might be good to use google's wiki there
and a seperate website SVN branch. Especially since the final system could be
adopted by other community-driven projects.

Regards
Marcus