Re: [pygame] PyGame Website Rewrite

hi,

very awesome of you to go ahead with this...

I read through your website... and it's got some good ideas...

It'll be cool if we can make pygame one of the best sites around in the python scene again... the current one is from around 2005... and has been really good so far.

Rewriting the current functionality in python first could be a good way to go.  Once the current site is replicated, then move on to other stuff.

All the old stuff needs to be written at some point... because we need to keep all the old urls around (including feeds).  Also it's easier for people to work towards something that exists, rather than working towards a new design.

Another benefit of remaking the existing website will be to understand the features of the current site.

Remember, the main focus of the website should be peoples projects... especially updated projects.  With all the other stuff coming after that.

First steps are to agree on a way forward... but if we go with remaking the existing site... we could follow this path:

- prepare html/php/sql from old site.
- get old site running outside of the main pygame.org so people can test it easily.
- decide on which tools we are to use.  The main ones from people interested seem to be a django, or a cherrypy based site.
- start writing the models for the various tables, and data types in existing site (eg, project, user, wiki page, etc).
- collect a list of existing urls.
- collect a list of existing functionality.
- collect a list of html/php pages to convert to templates.
- start working on list of functionality, and templates until it is complete.
- put site up for people to test on a test domain.... eg test.pygame.org
- replace existing website on pygame.org, and make sure it works ok.
- END.  then can work on adding new stuff.

We can even make some basic functional tests to start with based on the output of existing urls.  eg, grab the html from a wiki page from the existing site, and then compare it to our new website.

Also, is it possible to do this at google code instead?
    http://code.google.com/p/pygame/

What does everyone think of this?

cheers,