[pygame] problems getting python 3.1 to work with pygame 1.9

I'm trying to set up an Ubuntu 10.04 machine so my son can follow a book on learning Python programming with pygame 1.9 and python 3.1.  I have all these installed via apt-get without problems.   However, python 3.1 can't find the pygame module.   Interestingly, python 2.6 can find and import pygame without a problem.

Is there some step that I'm overlooking that allows python 3.1 to recognize the installed pygame 1.9?

Thanks,
bpierce