Re: [pygame] Making a Movie

Ian Mallett wrote:
Also, the video quality is reaaaaaallly bad (and the whole 800 frames is less than 1 MB). I'd like to trade some space for some quality. Also, changing:
ffmpeg -f image2 -r 60 -i frame%d.png -r 59 video.mpg
to:
ffmpeg -f image2 -r 60 -i frame%d.png -r 59 video.avi
Causes the resultant movie to not work.  What's that about?

I haven't used ffmpeg like this (I mainly use mencoder for encoding video -- it comes with mplayer). Perhaps it is compiling a motion-jpeg movie. It might be possible to have motion-jpeg inside avi containers, but I'm not sure how to best do this with ffmpeg. If using mencoder I'd need to specify a video codec if I was going to make an avi movie. Here's how I'd make a 59 frames per sec video from a lot of images in the current directory using mencoder: mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=59 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4

Perhaps you need to do something along those lines with ffmpeg. Obviously the switches will be different for ffmpeg. I'm no expert though, so studying the docs carefully would be required.

To get around the quality issue, perhaps you need to save the pictures at a lower frame rate to give your machine more time. Encoding the video at a lower framerate works just fine. In the example I gave you'd just substitute the lower fps number to match the frame collection rate. The human eye can't really see flickering faster than about 12 frames per second. The main reason to use higher rates is that fast motion can look jumpy otherwise. Even that can be worked around if you can add motion-blur, but that's likely way beyond what is needed or could be done here. :)

Cheers,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
 - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory