Re: [pygame] Anyone want to critique my platform game prototype?

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Ian Mallett <geometrian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Christopher Night <cosmologicon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I made a pygame prototype for a platforming game I'm planning. As we all know, platform games require meticulously tuned mechanics. I finally got it to where I like it, but that probably means it's still pretty terrible. If anyone wants to try it out and offer suggestions, I'd be very interested.

You control with the arrow keys (up to jump). You have four special abilities:
  • sprint (tap forward and then hold forward)
  • flip (jump immediately after turning, lets you reach higher platforms)
  • wall jump (can't do it off most platforms, only the semi-transparent blocks with vertical walls)
  • hang off ledges (can only do it on red and green platforms with balls on the ends)
You can also go into slow-motion by holding Shift, or toggle slow-mo with Caps Lock. Ctrl is fast-forward, but I don't recommend it. Esc to quit.

If you try it, let me know if you have trouble executing these abilities,
Flipping is a little too hard.
or if you accidentally execute them when you don't mean to.
Sprinting.  I ended up running off the edge and falling all the way back to the ground.

Thanks very much for trying it! If you get a chance, I'd be very interested in how it feels to you after tweaking the keypress time intervals. The time to execute the flip is 0.25, on lines 159 and 161. Maybe increase it 0.35. The time to execute the sprite is 0.4, on lines 166 and 169. Maybe reduce it to 0.3.

-Christopher