Re: [pygame] Student summer(or winter) of code projects, $5000 from google.

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 09:12 -0400, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> I realize this may seem strange, but I would suggest putting
> documentation further forward in the task-list, because...

OK, I changed the tutorials to produce a tutorial after each relevant
section is implemented, so I can get feedback on it immediately. I've
also moved the developer documentation forward a couple of weeks, to the
point that everything needed for widget development has been implemented
beforehand.

> Technical note: one thing that happens in the tutorial there is that it
> *looks* like you've replaced Pygame's set_mode()? If you are going to
> set yourself out as following the Pygame way, you may want to introspect
> current screen dimensions and layout from a passed-in screen object
> that's the result of set_mode()  That is, instead of doing the
> set_mode() call yourself, you should be passed a screen on which to draw
> and look at it to determine what size, mode, etc to use.  Having a
> *convenience* mechanism where you create the screen is nice for new
> users, but people like their control in Pygame.

Yes, that is something I have been contemplating, it is the only hack I
still require of the user. I've been considering replacing it with an
init() function, as long as I can get the information I need.
    At the moment, it's not a major issue, as the returned object is a
very simple wrapper, and should not affect anybody's code. So, removing
it later will only require users to change that line of code. But, I'll
certainly take a look at it by the end of GSoC.

Thanks for all your feedback Mike, it's really helped me flesh out the
proposal.