Re: [pygame] SGC 0.1.3 Released (with documentation)

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 12:12 +0200, Renà Dudfield wrote:
> A couple of first impression notes, and these are also notes for the
> gsoc proposal I guess too.
>       * The btn.add(0) part in the example is a bit confusing without
>         reading the docs.  Maybe use the keyword argument in the
>         example to show what the 0 means.

I'll change that in the undocumented example then.

>       * perhaps passing in a sequence of events, rather than each
>         event would be better?

I'm not really sure what you are referring to. :S

>       * are dirty rectangles handled?  Maybe if they were based on the
>         LayeredDirty group?

That's something I hadn't thought of, I'll look into that for
optimisation.

> Had a little chat with masquerade about this on irc, about how it
> would be more useful for more people...
>       * being able to pass in a base class rather than just Sprite.
>         So if you have your games sprites, they can be used.

Are you saying you should be able to change the class the base widget
inherits from? What would the use-case for this be? If you wanted your
sprites to be handled by the toolkit, then you could inherit your
sprites from Simple, and then be able to use the basic widget features
like the add()/remove() functions.

>       * more game like widgets would rock.  Things like fps counters
>         are good, but also menu screen helpers, consoles(quake style),
>         health meters, etc.

Not entirely sure what a menu screen helper is, would that be like a
tooltip or bubble message or something?
Consoles are a great idea, I hadn't thought of that, that's being added
to my list.
A progress bar is an obvious widget, and is on my list. I suppose you
only need to change the theming of a progress bar to get a health meter.

>       * Being able to meld the gui widgets in with a game nicely is
>         important.  Being able to easily over ride the draw method is
>         a good idea, and actual examples of how the gui widgets blend
>         in with a game.

Yep, this will be (and partially already is) supported by passing a
Surface object as the first argument to a widget.

Thanks for your feedback.