Re: [pygame] Extending OpenGL support in Pygame

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 19:25 +0200, Santiago Romero wrote:
> But in 3D-games rendered as "2D games" (2D opengl games), the sprite
> images themselves (animation frames) are textures projected in a
> cube-face, aren't they?

If the sprite images are loaded from an external image such as through
pygame.image.load(), then yes.

At the moment, my design involves a Surface object just being a class
containing information, there is no cube or anything. Then, when you
call a draw function, it runs the appropriate OpenGL code to draw that
shape, and attaches that information to the Surface object. When you
blit the Surface object to the screen, it simply runs through those draw
operations, drawing it all to the screen. So, the Surface object and
draw modules are not using textures directly, only if you blit an image
onto them, which again would go through pygame.image.load().

I don't know if that's an efficient way of doing it (it has some serious
problems at the moment), and I'll research into it more when I'm
cleaning up my code.