[pygame] Packaging many small sound files

Hi out there!

I work on an ITS for teaching the basics of German spelling and the program
uses a *lot* of very small sound files, most of them containing a single
spoken word. Currently about 1700 wav-files (tendency: growing) sum up to
20 MB when zipped and I have to reduce that amount. I need wavs and I also
need so many of them..

So I came up with the following idea:
- Concatenate all the wav-files to one large wav and store
offsets+filenames in a pickled list
- Compress the large wav-file with oggdecode (or something similar, size
should be around 1/4 of zipped-wav-files, the wavs are so small that
compressing them to ogg or mp3 one by one does not give good results)
- Ship the file with an installation routine that decompresses the ogg-file
and splits the large wav into many small ones again.

I implemented two small python scripts for packing and unpacking such files
and it seems to work well.

Questions:
- Is there a better and easier way to achive the same (or even better) results?
- Is anyone interested in such thing? I will happily share it..

Bye,
Tobias Thelen