Re: [pygame] Weird crashes with 1.5.x

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Jan Ekholm wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Pete Shinners wrote:
>
>>Michael Hudson wrote:
>>> I don't know what's up here, but I'll just point out that getting
>>> utterly random exceptions is often a symptom of some PyCFunction
>>> setting an exception but returning non-NULL.
>>>
>>> Can you try this in a debug build (of Python -- you'll probably need
>>> to rebuild pygame too)?  That contains checks for this sort of thing.
>>
>>pygame-1.5 added the ability for any object with a "rect" attribute
>>to be treated like a regular rectangle argument. i was calling the
>>straight C function 'PyObject_GetAttrString'. The docs lead me to
>>believe no exception would be raised on error, but that does not
>>seem to be the case.
>>
>>PyObject* PyObject_GetAttrString(PyObject *o, char *attr_name)
>>     Return value: New reference.
>>     Retrieve an attribute named attr_name from object o. Returns
>>     the attribute value on success, or NULL on failure. This is the
>>     equivalent of the Python expression "o.attr_name".
>>

>>i've just changed the pygame code to first call
>>'PyObject_HasAttrString' which will not raise any exceptions.
>>chakie, can you test from cvs pygame? i assume it will work now.
>
>Ok, I'll test the CVS version today and see what happens. Thanks for the
>hint & code. If that doesn't work we'll need to enter the route Michael
>suggested.

Yes, it works just fine now! The CVS version seems to have no problems
anymore, and at least I can't trigger the stack trace anymore. Great
stuff! Thanks for the quick and accurate help, guys! We can now steam on
full speed towards new horizons. :)

--
  The trouble with being a god is that you've got no one to pray to.
                                        -- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods