Re: [pygame] pyweek: okay to plan ahead?

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Richard Jones wrote:

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:02 am, Michal Wallace wrote:
How much up front planning and design
is allowed with PyWeek? I know we can't write
any actual code, but is it okay to have a
written plan for building a game around an
arbitrary theme?

That seems reasonable to me. People who have previously either
written a game or competed as a team (or both) will already have
this kind of plan. Some of them might even have transferred it out
of their head ;)

That's kind of what I was thinking.

It would actually be quite brilliant if you could share your generic
plan with everyone... preferrably before the comp. And if it was in
a wiki, others could contribute... ooh, this sounds like a cooler
and cooler idea actually...

Okay. I have no problem making this available for anyone.
In fact, if anyone likes it and wants to be on my team, or
if other teams want to use my plan, that would actually help me out a lot. To kind of give you an idea where I'm coming
from, here's the invitation I sent to my users:

-------------------------------------

Hi There!

have you ever wanted to:
   - help make a video game?
   - learn or use python?
   - show off your graphic skills?
   - work on an agile programming team?
   - experiment with literate programming?

If any of that sounds fun to you, then you're going to
want to know about Team Trailblazer!

What is Trailblazer? Trailblazer is a new, agile methodology aimed at distributed, part time teams, such as open source projects. I've been developing it for use here at cornerhost,
with great results, but so far I've only had myself on the team. The real question is whether it scales the way I think it will. So to test it, I wanted a project that was small, written from
scratch, and not mission critical.

That's when I heard about PyWeek.

The PyWeek challenge is a one-week, just for fun competition to make a video game with python. It's taking place over the
internet from Sunday, August 28 to Sunday, September 4, 2005.
At midnight on the 28th (00:00 UTC), a theme will be announced
for the game, and teams will have exactly one week to design, code, test, and ship their games. No game code or artwork be
created before hand, but we're free to use any pre-existing open source code or royalty free content.

We are also free to research, design, and plan how to implement
our game beforehand. This is good, because the trailblazer methodology is all about detailed planning followed by rapid
execution. [But note for the XPers: it's very different from "big design up front"]

So, if any of this sounds fun and interesting to you, and you'd like to be involved, let me know! ANYONE can contribute to this project (so feel free to forward this to a friend), even if you only have a small amount of time. Some things we'll need help with:

   - testing
   - graphics
   - writing
   - programming
   - level creation
   - documentation
   - mentoring
   - sound and music
   - public relations
   - research / problem solving

In addition, each area will need its own team lead to coordinate things, so if you've got mad leadership or
management skills, drop me a line.

For the curious, our final game engine will be open source under a very liberal (python-like) license, and the game itself released under a some form of creative commons.

For more information, visit:

the pyweek site:
  http://www.mechanicalcat.net/tech/PyWeek/1

the pygame site: