Re: [pygame] What 3D format do you use?

Simon Wittber wrote:

Hello Chaps,

I am fortunate enough to know some talented 3D modellers who work in lightwave.

Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble finding a simple 3D model
loader for Python, which "just works".

I have an OBJ file loader which can load a model and render to an
OpenGL display list, however I am not having any success getting
textures to apply to an OBJ model. I think this may be a problem with
lightwave exporting...

Anyhow, I'm curious to know what other people are using in their
games, and which 3D model file format people use and/or think is best.
So, the question... which 3D format and loader do you use?

I'm prejudiced from long exposure, but VRML97 is what I tend to use (to the extent that I actually wrote the code to load it). VRML97 is fairly good for geometry loading (once the loader is written), but it tends to fall down on many of the classic game-like features you'd want (e.g. dynamics, easy animation, that kind of thing).

   http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/screenshots/context/

should give you an idea what some (very old) content looks like.

Good luck,
Mike

 Mike C. Fletcher
 Designer, VR Plumber, Coder