[pygame] Advice On Licensing

I'm far enough along with my Python/Pygame project to have to think about
licenses. I'm happy to release some version of my program to the community
for free, in the hope that this will attract the help of musicians and
artists. But because the core of the project is the AI, and it's something
I don't just want to give away, I'm not willing to release all of the
source code.

Is there a way to release only a compiled EXE (and dependent files, and
media) rather than source code, and still have some sort of free license
for some of the code? If I release the EXE, am I in danger of exposing the
proprietary code to anything less than a determined reverse-engineering
hack?

What about the model of low-cost shareware? That is, if I ever got to the
point of having a viable program, what do you think of saying, "Five bucks
gets you the full version?" (This sounds more profitable to me than
charging $25 like some games.)

Kris