[pygame] pyGame - Logitech rumble pad input OS X (10.3.9)

Hi,

I apologize if this has been sent multiple times.  I sent a message before
confirming joining the list, and am unsure if it was posted.

I am having some difficulty getting an event loop to poll a Logitech
RumblePad2.  I think that I am missing a trivial step in polling the event
queue for a joystick button press, and was hoping someone could help me out
on this list.

I have attached some basic code that used to work for keyboard input.  I
added an init function for the joystick and am trying to get the
JOYBUTTONDOWN event to be recognized and poll for the button that has been
pressed.  I do not need to have the axis directions or the hat functions
used at all, simply need to poll for 1 of the 12 buttons being pressed as
well as which button is was.

The versions I have installed of various libraries (most important pygame)
is:

Version checklist:

Python version 2.3 (OK)
extra Python info: (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11) [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple
Computer, Inc. build 1495)]
Numeric version 24.0b1 (OK)
PyOpenGL (package "OpenGL") version 2.0.2.01 (OK)
pygame version 1.7.0 (OK)
Python Imaging Library (package "Image") version 1.1.5 (OK)

All of this is running on OS X (10.3.9) using the USB overdrive drivers for
the RumblePad2.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kjm

import pygame
import pygame.joystick
from pygame.locals import *
import sys

def init_pygame():
	'''Initialize pygame.  Here is where you will stick window dimensions
	etc.'''
	pygame.display.init()

joystick = None
def init_joy():