Re: [pygame] Sound to Light

Alex Holkner wrote:
Chris Ashurst wrote:

Okay, I think I grasp that... Except for the pygame-ctypes part. Is that a
separate branch of pygame from the main download?

Yes, it's a reimplementation of Pygame written entirely in Python, rather than as a C extension. Latest version and documentation is at http://www.pygame.org/ctypes. Pretty much feature complete at the moment, just fixing bugs.

Alex.

Alex - I'm having trouble with your pygame-ctypes.
First off - it installs into lib/site-packages/pygame? doesn't this mean it conflicts with regular pygame?
(I don't have regular pygame installed right now)

Second - I installed pygame-ctypes using 'pygame setup.py install'
The original 'pygame-ctypes-0.07' directory is on my desktop, and it copied files into
'C:/python24/Lib/site-packages/pygame' and 'C:/python24/Lib/site-packages/SDL'

Whenever I ran the example programs in 'desktop/pygame-ctypes-0.07/test' I saw this error message pop up and disappear, so I
went into a cmd prompt and ran it so I could see the error message, and it was
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Rabidpoobear\Desktop\pygame-ctypes-0.07\test\checkkeys.py", line 14, in ?
from SDL import *
File "C:\python24\Lib\site-packages\SDL\__init__.py", line 30, in ?
import SDL.dll
File "C:\python24\Lib\site-packages\SDL\dll.py", line 217, in ?
_dll = SDL_DLL('SDL','SDL_Linked_Version')
File "C:\python24\Lib\site-packages\SDL\dll.py", line 42, in __init__
self._dll = getattr(cdll, find_library(library_name))
TypeError: getattr(): attribute name must be string

Now that I think about it more, I'm guessing that find_library(library_name) is returning None instead
of the library location because I don't have SDL installed.

So what I'm wondering is, if I just install SDL and SDL_image, mixer, ttf, and sound, using the
windows installers, is it going to add it to the path for me so pygame-ctypes will find it?

Also, I know it should be self-explanatory for a programmer such as myself that a
ctypes module that wraps a C dll would need the C dll to be present somewhere,
but obviously I was confused long enough to start writing an e-mail to you.
Perhaps it's because I just woke up ;)
Anyway, maybe you should put a 'Don't forget to install SDL and ctypes!' on the
front page.
I'm kind of embarrassed now.
-Luke