Re: [pygame] PixelArray question

Marcus von Appen wrote:
On, Thu Aug 23, 2007, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:

[...]
As for slicing, that is just a generalized form of Surface.subsurface (with the parent locked for consistency with surfarray). But I appreciate that time constraints prohibit adding something like strides to a subsurface.

It is a bit more than a plain subsurface as soon as mapping is working
as supposed. You cannot create a subsurface using e.g. every second row
(or column) of a Surface, you will be able to do that with the
PixelArray however.

No, I don't expect anyone to make subsurfaces non-contiguous. But I do have a question about the expected use-cases of PixelArray. Obviously it provides a buffer protocol. But I am wondering where the slicing will be used? Personally I find a 2d array of raw pixel values not very useful. Alpha channel manipulation is awkward. surfarray.pixels_alpha/surfarray.array_alpha are much more practical with 32 bit surfaces. 3d arrays allow easy color plane separation. I guess I lack the experience to see how PixelArray slicing fits in.

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l@xxxxxxxxx>