Re: [pygame] BUG: PixelArray

On, Sat Aug 25, 2007, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:

> Lenard Lindstrom wrote:

[...]
>> The module didn't compile. I am building for Python 2.5 using gcc 3.4.5
>> under MinGW. This is the error message I got:

Hm, interesting. Using Python 2.4.4 and 2.5.1 with a GCC version 3.4.6
under FreeBSD works fine. No complains, no nothing. Even the python
2.5.1 code base uses PyObject_GenericGetAttr within its static type
declarations a lot. Maybe it's a MinGW related bug or I missed some
include or something like that, - it's better to have the workaround
anyways. I guess. Thanks.

> P.P.S. Should PixelArray work with 24 bit surfaces?

I hope to get it to work properly. 24bpp uses a 3 byte stepping and
additional shifting, which makes the offset calculations and co. rather
complex. My current attempts to get a working repr() implementation had
pretty funny results :-).

At least 8, 16 and 32 bit should work in the first version, 24 bpp would
be nice to have, but is not a high priority task for me due to the
amount of work it causes. I'd like to have a stable version as soon as
possible, so maybe it won't be supported in that version.

The current state should support 16 and 32 bpp without any problems, 8
bpp might be a complete mess due to the palette system, it uses. I did
not recheck it for now (thus no unittests for the different bpps exist
so far), so maybe it works, maybe not.

Regards
Marcus