Re: [pygame] BUG: PixelArray

Marcus von Appen wrote:
On, Sat Aug 25, 2007, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:

Lenard Lindstrom wrote:

[...]
The module didn't compile. I am building for Python 2.5 using gcc 3.4.5 under MinGW. This is the error message I got:

Hm, interesting. Using Python 2.4.4 and 2.5.1 with a GCC version 3.4.6
under FreeBSD works fine. No complains, no nothing. Even the python
2.5.1 code base uses PyObject_GenericGetAttr within its static type
declarations a lot. Maybe it's a MinGW related bug or I missed some
include or something like that, - it's better to have the workaround
anyways. I guess. Thanks.

It could be a Windows thing. As for the Python code, all that is statically linked into a single DLL.

P.P.S. Should PixelArray work with 24 bit surfaces?

I hope to get it to work properly. 24bpp uses a 3 byte stepping and
additional shifting, which makes the offset calculations and co. rather
complex. My current attempts to get a working repr() implementation had
pretty funny results :-).

At least 8, 16 and 32 bit should work in the first version, 24 bpp would
be nice to have, but is not a high priority task for me due to the
amount of work it causes. I'd like to have a stable version as soon as
possible, so maybe it won't be supported in that version.

The current state should support 16 and 32 bpp without any problems, 8
bpp might be a complete mess due to the palette system, it uses. I did
not recheck it for now (thus no unittests for the different bpps exist
so far), so maybe it works, maybe not.

Maybe it should throw an exception for those unsupported 24 bit array features, like element-wise assignment.

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l@xxxxxxxxx>