Re: transition plan was Re: [pygame] contemplating move to bitbucket(and hg). what do you think?

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Renà Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 6:44 PM, claudio canepa <ccanepacc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Renà Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I've started on a migration plan for bitbucket. If anyone has any feedback, please let me know :)

About issues:Â

A problem I have seen in other migrations was :

issues text refers to some svn version, say r1054

Before migration with 'r1054' you know how to navigate the repo html view to the relevant check-in info,

After migration to hg, the repo html view uses hashes to identify that particular commit / state, say '252e9c8091cc' , so you don't know where to look.

So, i don't know how this have been better handled in other migrations, but perhaps the migration could generate a table 'svn revision' -> 'hash hg repo default' Âand put that in a page.
That page can later be embellished with search and what not, but you must have the info to begin with.

--
claudio

Hello,

ah, good point. After some reading, I found out about using the --datesort option with hg convert. This should let us use the commits in the same order that they happened in svn. So then we can use the 'revision numbers' I hope to easily map between hg and svn. I'll experiment and see what happens. One problem is that it increases the repo size, so maybe another way to generate a mapping would be better.

From bitbucket: "there isn't a importer, we do however have an issue api you could use to write your own. no plans for rst.". So it looks like I'll have fun writing an importer. It also looks like we'll have to settle for using their creol wiki markup rather than rst.

I perused the pep about the python migration posted by Lenard, and they indeed Âgenerated a text table with mappings. Maybe there is code to lift there (in the python migration process) ?

Also, they talk about how EOL will be handled, and have Âa link for the server side hooks used, including the one for 'bad EOL rejection'

--
claudio