Re: transition plan was Re: [pygame] contemplating move to bitbucket(and hg). what do you think?

On 06/08/11 11:29 AM, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
Bonjour,

On 06/08/11 03:23 AM, René Dudfield wrote:
Hey,

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Lenard Lindstrom <len-l@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:len-l@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

             * what to do with branches, and trunk?

    Most branches are closed. I just merged msvc64 back into trunk. It
    has be removed. The msi, testtools, and trackmod branches can be
    omitted as well.

ok, cool. I can't figure out how to omit branches with the _hg convert_ extension so far. I'm sure there's some way to prune things though.

Here's the pruning dead branches docs.
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/PruningDeadBranches

Maybe the _hg strip_ command is what we're looking for. If want want to wipe them and their history.

                 * instead of a trunk the root should be the trunk.

    I think the trunk would become the tip. We may have to rethink how
    we commit changes. I admit I have used the Pygame SVN repository
    branches as an off site backup system while making changes. I
    don't know what the equivalent is with hg, if any. Maybe patches
    posted to the issue tracker can serve the purpose.

    Lenard Lindstrom

Yeah, we can keep the tip as something like the trunk now I guess. hg makes branches are way easier than svn branches. The pull request is functionality is good too. You fork the repo on your own account, and when ready send a pull request to the main branch.

I'll send some measurements of the converted repository size later today, once it's done converting.

There is some thing called a permanent branch. Maybe this can represent formal releases. There is also a patch queue, which may work for off site backups and to make experimental changes widely available without messing up the tip at Bitbucket. The way development is handled with a distributed version control system sure differs from SVN. No centralized experimental branches should be needed. Only bug fixes and firm feature changes should be pushed to the Bitbucket repository. Anything else can be done locally and submitted as a patch. We can also also make Pygame versions with experimental features available as separate downloads from Bitbucket.

It looks like Bitbucket allows multiple repositories for an account. If so, then the pygame repository can become the SVN trunk. A tags repository contains formal release and post release bug fixes. Other repositories would be added as desired for development branches and support projects.

Lenard Lindstrom