Re: [pygame] pygame.midi

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012, Christopher Arndt wrote:

I have just uploaded a binary build for Windows 32-bit where I increased the sysex input buffer size to 4096 bytes. This is a pre-release build of version 0.3a of python-rtmidi but there are no significant other changes in the moule code in this version so far.

http://chrisarndt.de/projects/python-rtmidi/download/python-rtmidi-0.3a.dev-r0-20120820.win32-py2.7.exe

OK, thanks. I will try it.

BTW: On the website page I saw the following example:

note_on = [0x99, 60, 112] # channel 10, middle C, velocity 112
note_off = [0x89, 60, 0]

[0x89, 60, 0] means a note_off message with a note_off velocity value of 0. A (small) number of synths understands note_off velocity. You can describe it in physical terms as a key that is released extremely slowly. I have seen a synth (an old AKAI it was I think) that would react by a very slow envelope release of the sound after the key is released.

As an example it would be better to give the velocity a more sensible value:
note_off = [0x89, 60, 64]

Another method, used very often, is to use a note_on message with a velocity value = 0:
note_off = [0x99, 60, 0]

--

MT

P.S: can I mail you via another private e-mail address? E-mail to chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx is bounced by my provider.