Re: [pygame] lockups

Richard Jones wrote:

> I've found that my font contest entry locks up once in a while. No crash or
> anything, it just freezes. I have to SIGKILL it to make it go away. No idea
> why...

urgh, i've also been able to get your code to now freeze consistently
(picked a lucky random seed to start with). i've tracked the problem
down to happening inside the SDL_ttf library. It is happening in a call
to TTF_RenderText_Blended, with perfectly valid arguments.

a bug in SDL_ttf? might be? or perhaps pygame is abusing it in some way
it wasn't meant to handle? not sure, but i'm leaning to SDL_ttf at this
point?

as for the locking up.. it seems to happen in the time between the
Skyscraper.__init__ is returning and the code it actually returns to.
(put a print in the __init__ before it returns, and a print after the
line that created the skyscraper instance... the first one prints, but
the second never does?)

all i can think is this is some scary reference counting bug is stirring
up these mysterious side effect(s)? i'll be taking a close look at the
fonts and my reference counting these next days, but initial reviews
seem to show everything working ok.

strange.