Re: [pygame] Pygame and OpenGL

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 crispin@iinet.net.au wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 07:42:59PM +1100, Richard Jones wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:34, Jan Ekholm wrote:
>> > Anyway, the book is highly recommended, and if you don't learn OpenGL from
>> > it you don't learn it from anything. For special more advanced tricks,
>> > such as culling, texture mapping hacks etc you'll have to read some
>> > www-stuff.
>>
>> Yep, there's a _lot_ of good resources out there. I'm using stuff I picked up
>> at www.gametutorials.com to develop some frustum culling and octree handling
>> routines in C to speed up my python opengl stuff. I'll be making code
>> available any day now... :)
>
>Sounds good. Cant wait to get my teeth into it. The culling stuff will
>definately help speed wise :)

PyOpenGL works excellently with Pygame. The only hard part is to get the
darn thing installed, which was definitely not trivial. But once you're
past that all gets easy.

I do have a few total machine freezes though from playing with
pyopengl/pygame. PyOpenGL prints an error on the screen (stack trace) for
something that's fubar, and then everything freezes solid. Has made me
think about installed ReiserFS, ext3 or some other journalling fs... :)

--
        Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
                                              -- Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man